Students from all area high schools were honored as Barney Thompson Scholarship recipients during the Knox County School’s annual Partners in Education luncheon April 27. (Photo by J.J. Kindred)
By J.J. KINDRED
Fourteen seniors were honored as recipients of the 2011 Barney Thompson Scholarship during the Knox County Schools’ annual Partners in Education Spring Celebration Luncheon April 27 at the Sarah Simpson Professional Development and Technology Center.
The students selected from each high school in Knox County will receive a $500 scholarship in memory of Barney Thompson, who served as the treasurer of the Partners in Education Advisory Board for more than 15 years, as well as a teacher and coach at South-Doyle High School and Knox County Schools supporter.
The luncheon is held annually to recognize businesses and organizations that partner with the Knox County Schools through the Partners in Education program.
This year’s recipients of the 2011 Barney Thompson Scholarship are:
• Sylvia Penner, Austin-East High School
• Sydney Harness, Bearden High School
• Taylor Greene, Carter High School
• Jalisa Ash, Central High School
• Anna Zetterberg, Farragut High School
• Bart Satterfield, IV, Fulton High School
• Michelle Morales, Gibbs High School
• Ravyn Thompson, Halls High School
• Emily Cornelius, Hardin Valley Academy
• Tatiana Silvas, Karns High School
• Jennifer Womack, Paul L. Kelley Volunteer Academy
• Brook Stanley, Powell High School
• Isaac Moore, South-Doyle High School
• Ashleigh Rutherford, West High School
The Barney Thompson Scholarship is funded by the Knoxville Area Association of Realtors, donations from individual realtors, contributions from private donors and a portion of the proceeds from the Dine Out for Education, which was held this month.